Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas is Here


    Christmas was just a few days away and I was ready for it. Christmas music was streaming through
the speakers in my home, the tree decorated. My church would be caroling the next day. My   grandparents would be coming for Christmas day. I still hadn't gotten any shopping done. What other people in my family had bought as gifts were left unwrapped. My mom didn't have much time.

That afternoon she, my brother, and I were just sitting on the couch, talking, laughing here and there.
  Admiring our tree. Then, suddenly, my mom looked at my brother and I very seriously and said
"I just want you guys to know that I only spent about half of what I did last year."

            My heart dropped with dissappointment for a moment. Half? That's really nothing.

                                           Then I felt a nudging in my heart.

                "Wait a minute? Why I am acting like this?" I thought. "Haven't I been reminding people
to remember the real reason for the season? That Christmas is about Christ? That it's about His birth
and ultimitely, His death. His precious gift of salvation. The gifts shouldn't matter!"

Now, don't get me wrong. I love receiving gifts. I love the anticipation and excitment of ripping the paper off the item and seeing what that person bought me. And I can tend to be selfish at times.
Though, I know I need to be grateful, because there are thousands of boys and girls my age
who receive far less. Some nothing at all.  And Christ never wanted us the commercialize
the day of His birth.

                                His birth is truly the best gift anyone could receive.
                                                      I'm learning.

                  Christmas is here, my friends. Let's remember why we are celebrating.

                                                    Merry CHRISTmas!

                                         

3 comments:

  1. My family did a much "smaller" Christmas this year too. It was still SO much fun though... it IS so important to keep the right perspective. We don't celebrate Christmas to see what we get, we celebrate Christmas to remember what God already gave.

    Much love in Christ!!! Merry Christmas!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog!!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I just started following your blog by the way. I really like it!

      Delete